- Shop at Horrocks- try the free samples of beer, wine, or root beer in their tap room area. Then you can buy a pint and scroll through the store. If you want you could buy ingredients to take home and make a meal together. Then get some free coffee from their coffee shop area and sit down to talk, play games, or read a book together.
- Surprise her with a stay in movie night with her favorite movie or a movie of her choice (like the chick flick or documentary she has been dying to see but no one will watch it with her) and snacks. You can keep the price down by making your own popcorn and using large bags of candy instead of personal sizes. Make it extra special by drizzling your popcorn with chocolate, peanut butter, or caramel (I have been meaning to try this!).
- Go to Goodwill and each spend $5 to find a gift or something to use to make into a gift for her
- Take her to a movie matinee at a second showing theater for cheap! For those in the Grand Rapids area the Woodland Mall has showings for $5.
- Pack a picnic and take her to a beautiful setting such as a park, beach, or a place that is special to her.
- Volunteer to babysit your family/friend’s kids for them so they can go on a date. You can have fun building forts, dressing up dolls, and playing games while seeing how your potential future husband/wife interacts with kids.
- Surprise her with a fancy candle lit dinner instead of taking her out to a restaurant.
- Watch the Musical Fountain in Grand Haven. Bring camp chairs, a blanket, or plan to sit in the bleachers to watch the water fountains gush to the beat of music. Come early and get ice cream and walk the pier. The fountain is located at 515 Woodlawn Ave, Grand Haven, MI 49417 and has performances daily from Memorial Day through Labor Day.
- Bake her her favorite dessert and customize it with a message.
- Go to the library or book store and each pick out a book then sit down and take turns reading. Make it extra special by choosing a couples’ devotional, spiritually themed, or relationship self help.
- Go to a Whitecaps Baseball Game: Keep it cheap by buying lawn seats for $7/person but keep it romantic by bringing a blanket to share (or bring camp chairs to be more comfortable). Also keep the price down by eating dinner before arriving and bring snacks and/or dessert to enjoy during the game (there may be rules against bringing outside food but I couldn’t find anything about it on their website so I would recommend keeping it discreet just in case. But if you want to have the true baseball game experience go ahead and buy some beer (the craft beers are actually reasonably priced), cracker jack's, hot dog, or popcorn! Or have some fun and try some of their famous unique food creations: Beer-a-Misu ( scoop of tiramisu gelato and top it off with local Michigan craft beers), Cotton Candy Curveball (Twinkie covered in cotton candy), Picnic On-A-Stick (fried chicken, tater tots, and pickles deep fried in cornbread batter) or click here to see more of their crazy unhealthy food creations! For more information here is their schedule and list of ticket prices.
- Free Movies in the park:
- Stroll up and down a farmers market. Again it would be fun to pick out a recipe ahead of time and shop for the ingredients then make dinner together. Make it extra special by making dinner for your parents or grandparents and have it a double date.
26. Ice Skating, Swing Dancing, or concerts at Rosa Parks Circle (100 Monroe Center
Grand Rapids, MI 49508). Outdoor ice skating is open December-March and only costs $2/person with skate rental! Every Tuesday in the summer (April- October) there is FREE swing dancing with live music from 7-9pm. Don't know how to swing dance? Don't worry they start with a free lesson from 7-7:30pm. Or attend free concerts like the GRandJazz Fest.
27. Go for a walk in the woods and forage for food! Look for edible plants such as morel mushrooms, wild leeks, burdock root, rhubarb, asparagus (yes, you can find the most delicious asparagus in road side ditches, proven to me by my awesome co worker, Barb, who brought me two bags full!), etc.
28. Pretend to be kids again and play video games like Mario cart, Smashbrothers, or Pong.
Have a great day and thanks for reading. Please make sure if you've been enjoying the blog to put your email in the right column and check us out on Facebook and Twitter!
Gift Ideas for your wife's or Mom's birthday, Mother's Day, Christmas, etc