After our free breakfast we went into town for the day and explored the city, walked the pier, and went to Easter Sunday Mass.
By the time Mass was over I was starving so we settled on having the $7 lunch special we walked past on the way to mass. The special included a drink and they had chips and salsa to start. We walked away spending only $20 after a generous tip. After walking in the 90 degree weather back to the pier we shared a self serve yogurt, $4.
Now I have to admit that I was jealous of those with all inclusive when we were being sitting by the pool and the people around us were being served hand and foot with french fries, nachos, beer, cocktails, ice cream, you name it! But we were pleasantly surprised that sometimes the waiters came around with free samples that we could have. And we took advantage of the entertainment opportunities offered including the guacamole/salsa making class, martini making class, cocktail making class, and ceviche cooking class (aka FREE FOOD).
- You will never eat or drink enough to make it worth it.
- It is better to go grocery shopping for two meals each day and then pay for dinner and even food by the pool and you will still be in the green.
- Then you don’t “waste” food you would be getting already at the resort if you go on an excursion that includes food or if you go into town for a meal.
- You don’t need the calories (or at least we don’t) :)
- Go to a timeshare presentation BUT realize that it will take an entire morning and a lot of persistence on your part to finally get out of there (be warned that some can be VERY pushy and even rude). We had the best luck getting an “offer” at the airport because then our resort matched it. Before our resort knew we already had an offer they were going to only give us 50% off excursions, weak! Then when they found out what we were going to get to see a different resort they matched it and we were able to stay at our own resort. We also think it better to see a presentation at the resort you are staying at because they are more likely to let you leave because they don’t want to piss you off if you are staying with them for the rest of the week. Final tip, take a baby! We got out of our presentation an hour before other people because he was getting fussy! So we didn’t even have argue our way out of there. Score! We recommend attending only one because then you only take one morning of your time and if you have a bad experience it is only one morning and you still have the rest of your vacation to enjoy.
- Think ahead and pack a lunch for the airport. Just remember that by the time your plane lands in a new country you need to have eaten any fruit, vegetables, or meat or customs will stop you.
- Attend some of the free entertainment opportunities they offer: I don’t think I need to explain this= FREE and they can be a lot of fun.