griddle to make multiple pancakes at once.
Don't like pancakes or waffles? That is because you haven't tried these chocolate pancakes with strawberry sauce (think chocolate covered strawberries!). The strawberry sauce is really what makes them special!
We have found that our favorite pancakes are nontraditional pancakes such as our Chocolate Pancakes, Carrot Cake Waffles, Zucchini Pancakes and Pumpkin Pancakes.
These chocolate pancakes are great for breakfast or dessert! Click here for the recipe.
Healthy Chocolate Pancakes/Waffles with Strawberry Sauce or Chocolate Syrup
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour (healthy upgrade: replace up to ¾ cup with old fashion oats)
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ cup milk, almond milk, rice milk, etc
- ½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup semi sweet chocolate chips (⅛ cup for healthier breakfast; ⅓ cup for rich dessert option)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (can reduce and replace all or some with sucanat for a healthy upgrade)
- ¼ cup oil (we use coconut oil; healthy upgrade replace with applesauce = makes a denser pancake but tends to stick to the pan more; I like the dense applesauce version the best but John likes the fluffy oil version better)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼-1/2 cup boiling water (or coffee - we have not tried it but we assume it would be good!)
- 1lb fresh or frozen strawberries (or more)
- 1-1.5 Tablespoons sugar of your choice
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1/8 cup milk, almond milk, rice milk, etc
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, whisk together milk and vinegar and let mixture stand for 10 minutes.
- In a medium size bowl, mix together the flour and baking soda and set aside.
- In another small bowl, combine the cocoa powder and chocolate chips and add ¼ cup of boiling water (or coffee). Mix chocolate mixture until a smooth consistency (add more boiling water as needed).
- Whisk the soy milk mixture into the chocolate mixture. Whisk in the brown sugar, oil, and vanilla. Slowly, whisk in the flour mixture.
- Heat a large greased pan/skillet/waffle iron on medium. Cook pancakes until the pancake batter is not gooey and the both sides of the pancakes are slightly dark brown.
Soaking version (Healthy Upgrade): Combine flour, milk, and apple cider vinegar in a large bowl and place in warm place or in oven (turned off) with oven light on for 12-24 hours. In the morning sprinkle with baking soda and gently mix. Make chocolate mixture and whisk in brown sugar, oil, vanilla. Slowly whisk into flour mixture.
Have a great day and thanks for reading. Please make sure if you've been enjoying the blog to put your email in the right column and check us out on Facebook and Twitter!
How much should you be spending on groceries