- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and cook until tender. Add in the garlic and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in sweet potato and roasted red peppers. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in the broth, water, black beans, and tomatoes. Stir well.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, and red pepper flakes. Stir and toss in the cilantro. Stir again. Let the soup simmer on medium low for 30 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are soft. (We like using our crock pot- After sauteing onions, sweet potato, and roasted red peppers add all ingredients to crock pot and cook on low for 4-6 hours)
- Season with salt and pepper and serve hot.
Monday, March 9, 2015
Black Bean and Sweet Potato Soup
Author: Two Peas and Their Pod with modifications by Practically Frugal Family
Click here for printer friendly PDF
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 red onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped (we use 2 and we don’t bother peeling them)
1 roasted red pepper, chopped
2 cans (15oz) low sodium vegetable broth (we use homemade veggie broth)
2 cups water (we omit because we like our soup thicker with more flavor)
3 cans low sodium black beans, rinsed and drained (we soak and cook dry beans ahead of time)
3 cans diced tomatoes with green chilies (we used frozen or canned tomatoes from our garden and add 3 cans of store bought green chiles)
1 Tablespoon chili powder (we like more! probably almost double)
2 teaspoons cumin (we like more!)
Dash of red pepper flakes (again, we like more! lots more!)
½ bunch of cilantro, chopped
salt and pepper, to taste (remember homemade veggie broth does not contain salt so you will need to add more than you except)